If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (843) 823-7400

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Kitchen Fire Damage In Charleston

2/11/2020 (Permalink)

kitchen fire damage The certified technicians are available 24/7 to make the fire loss to your property, “Like it never even happened.”

Kitchen Fire Damage Needs Extensive Cleanup in Charleston

Although much of the fire damage in kitchens results from a meal flaming up in a pan, microwave ovens are also a source of loss in homes. Common reasons for a microwave to catch on fire include:
    •    Overheated food
    •    Improper containers used for cooking
    •    The use of foil or containers with metal
    •    Attempting to dry cotton clothing

A home in Charleston had fire damage from a microwave that mistakenly had too much time set for cooking at max power, and the homeowner was not paying attention. The packaging of the foodstuff caught on fire, and the homeowner made the mistake of opening the door, which let in oxygen, causing it to flame up. Fortunately, there was a fire extinguisher handy to put it out before it could spread beyond the kitchen.

Removal of Charred Items
SERVPRO technicians immediately began moving out fire loss items such as the microwave, stove below it, and the cabinets surrounding both the microwave and the oven.

Why Containment is Crucial
Soot spreads rapidly and can travel easily on clothing and shoes to currently unaffected areas of the home. As the residue winds up in other areas of the house, it expands the scale of the needed cleanup and restoration service, particularly for odor control. The technicians set up containment around the work area to limit the spread of soot, so it is not an issue later.

Choosing Cleaning Agents
Even in a limited area, the potential for different types of residues exists. SERVPRO technicians test before cleaning smoke damage, so the proper cleaning solutions get used. For example, plastic and rubber tend to leave behind wet, smeary smoke that grips the surface and often needs a solvent-based cleaner to remove. Through careful testing, the techs make sure the cleaner will not do harm before use.

Get the fire damage cleanup started quickly by calling SERVPRO of South & West Charleston at (843) 823-7400. The certified technicians are available 24/7 to make the fire loss to your property, “Like it never even happened.”

For more about Charleston click here.

Other News

View Recent Posts