Remediation of Moldy Paintings
Here Are Some Steps To Remove Mold From Paintings
Mold damage to any treasured personal item is a heart-wrenching disappointment, especially if it's fragile artwork like a painting. No matter the medium, mold cleaning art is unlike ridding mold from your bathroom tiles. It almost always requires the training, techniques and equipment of professional restoration experts in Kiawah Island, SC, who have the skill to bring your artwork back to life. Don't despair and immediately consign your painting to the refuse bin. Depending on the degree of damage, mold remediation is possible. Quick action is essential.
1. First Steps
If the damage is light, conservationists skilled in mold cleaning recommend the following.
- Do not wipe mold off a painting as it will add to the damage.
- Remove wooden frames. Lightly spray the canvas (front and back) with Lysol spray to stop mold growth; repeat as necessary.
- Wait for the sprayed mold to become dry and powdery.
- While outdoors, gently brush mold residue off the painting with a clean, dry paint brush or similar soft brush.
- Place painting in a dry, airy, sunny place. Consider a post-cleaning assessment of your painting by mold remediation professionals.
Mold remediation of badly damaged artwork usually requires the highly specialized mastery of art conservationists. Here are the general techniques they use:
Specially designed, miniature vacuums with HEPA filters clean mold off a painting's surface.
High quality solvents and solutions disinfect and kill the remaining active mold spores.
Depending on the degree of damage, the paint layer is inpainted to fill in the painting's deteriorating or missing parts.
The stretchers, canvas and panel or board that support the painting are cleaned and restored.
The moldy frame is cleaned and, if unusable, the restored painting is appropriately rehoused.
It's best to remove mold from paintings without delay. Your highest hopes for good restoration results will depend on the degree of mold damage and assistance from mold cleaning professionals.